Thursday, June 30, 2011

Is the canvas really blank?

As I sat here greatly contemplating whether or not to start this blog, as I have for the last month, I was asked to develop a name for my blog. Honestly, I kind of just wanted someone to name it for me. Naming something is a big deal. Naming something comes along with the territory of that certain thing fitting into, getting used to, or growing into the name. What if I name it wrong or give it a name that I don't like later? Hmm....


Well, "The Colorful Canvas" it is. Don't ask me why it popped into my noggin, but it did. Once it did indeed jump to life inside my head I really started to thing about the phrase, "A blank canvas". Many people refer to themselves as a blank canvas with no "paint" upon which their life is guided by. As I thought about it more I pictured my so-called "blank" canvas compared to friends' so called "blank" canvases. Well, I decided I don't think they are blank. I believe that sometimes we insist they are blank because then we either have no obligations or nothing to live up to in our lives. We think our picture hasn't begun to be expressed through colors yet so there is no great yearning to see the completed work. Yet again, I believe this thinking is flawed.

Whether we like it or not, everything we do in our lives puts paint on our canvas. It becomes a part of who we are. The bad things, the good things, the thrilling things, the compassionate things, the fulfilling things, the scary things, the draining things....whatever things you do they will always throw, or gracefully place, some paint on your canvas. So, as we go about our lives, we shouldn't think of ourselves as a blank canvas. We started "painting" from the second we were born.

God places situations, people, and challenges within our lives and gives us the paintbrush. Yet, throughout this whole process, we sometimes forget to take lessons from the one who skillfully handed us the paintbrush. He painted the most brilliant canvas of all. We need to strive daily to paint our canvas to model His best, and try and take a lesson from the one who is All-Knowing.

We are a canvas and we are painting. Don't deny it. Make your canvas worth noticing.

Paint Brush

O Lord, you are our Father.
      We are the clay, and you are the potter.
      We all are formed by your hand.
                               -Isaiah 64:8

No comments:

Post a Comment